Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Todays adventures



















Today has been a blast, one of my best days yet here.
After a late night of no sleep (again) I slept in a bit. Then the girls and I packed up and hit the road to pick up Chris's other med and see houses. It is so much fun here to have American songs play on the Italian radio stations. It never fails that it is some middle aged Italian guy singing along to Mama Mia or the Red Hot Chili Peppers, too cute. Plus-it's never a bad day when you have all the windows down and are signing ABBA at the top of your lungs with your two fantastic daughters.
Trip one to Pordenone-Farmacia closed.
House one- great (I mean REALLY great) but too small. It would be an ideal home for a couple with no children. It's down in the trendy part of Sacile right across from the train station (quiet trains, that is soooo not a drawback).
House two-great, but too expensive. I'm starting to feel like Goldie Locks here.
Since we were already out, and I felt we needed a treat, I told the girls to hold on tight and we headed up the mountains. (Pop-you may want to leave this part out when you tell Gram, she would have been terrified (!!!) on this drive.)
Piancavallo is the ski area near here. I figure it's a great idea to get familiar with the roads now rather than on the ice and snow. What I didn't realize is that they are doing summer construction to the usual roads so we were on an even more narrow and winding street than usual.
This was one of the most beautiful natural area I have ever seen. The pictures can NOT due it justice. The grainy ones are when the windows fogged from driving through the clouds. We even got out and walked through a cloud-how cool is that? By, the way literally cool- there was a definite cold snap up there. Any murky looking ones are because we are above the cloud line looking down. At one point the clouds were so thick it looked like it must be twilight, in the middle of the afternoon. I've included a few pic's of the road, just remember at any moment someone might be tearing around the corner going the opposite direction. Piancavallo itself is breathtaking. I took a few shots of the ski lift and one of the slopes, I hope to take the same photos this winter when it's all snow packed. There are a million and one hiking trails, can't wait to get out there! The homes are primarily Austrian/German style. There was one, on the side of the mountain, that had a 20 ft wide old fashioned carved wooden sun on it. I wish I could have grabbed shots of that and the little streams, etc, we came across. I guess I'll save those for another day.
Trip two to the Farmacia-closed for the afternoon siesta.
Back to the house, Chris is doing much better. Chafing at being cooped up and not able to work. I'm just glad he can see and the pain has subsided.
Then-trip three to the Farmacia tonight and JACKPOT they were open. Picked up his other med and even got to use my fancy Italian skills I picked up from our Italian stickers. Refrigerator in Italian may seem a little random in a Pharmacy, but his other med had to be refrigerated. Thanks mom-the sticker book did come in handy.
Now a quiet evening here at the cozy TLF. P.S. there are also some random photos the girls took as we were driving. Can I just say I've got the coolest kids on the planet-they are doing great and up for just about anything!

2 comments:

  1. i love reading your blog!! finally found it - it only took me 2 weeks to figure it out. so disappointed that i got to the end - wanted to read more. miss you lots and lots! tell girls that justice pulled his old "running at breakneck speed to see the James" trick again today. he just can't figure out why we don't go over there anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. We wait with baited breath, for your next
    blog. It has been cool, (85 high0, rainy and humid here.

    Hope Chris is feeling better.

    Dad and Linda

    ReplyDelete