Saturday, July 11, 2009

Benvenuti Field Trip























Ok, I know that many of you wouldn't be caught dead on an organized base excursion. For me, it is really (really) helpful to see how things are done once (i.e train tickets, etc) then I have enough confidence to do it on my own from that point on out. This one was done very well by our Italian hosts, and we had a ton of fun.
We started the day with a trip to the Gorgazzo springs.
http://www.italianvisits.com/friuli/gorgazzo/index.htm
It is an amazing artesian springs in the mountains with a great hiking trail next to it that I can't wait to explore. The fact that wild boars are fairly common in the area does slow me down a bit, I think I was scarred by the boar mauling chapter in The Thorn Birds. At the springs we visited a local Apicoltura (bee farm) that makes and sells its own honey, and pollen (good for the allergies). The store is only open by appointment and they do not sell long distance, so this was a true local family bee farm. We had a honey tasting, absolutely amazing, and got a quick education on how a bee farm in the Alps is run.
From there we drove through some amazing medieval towns in the area, inches to spare between the bus and the homes on either side if the street, and then on to a market.
The market was neat, prices are pretty good, and we got our first Italian Coffee. For those of you that know how I drink my coffee, you'll understand why I like this place so much! The coffee is strong and delicious. We then went on to Pordenone and took a tour through St. Marks Cathedral. Some of the Frescos they are restoring were put up in the 1300's. One of the up close paintings is one of Santa Franceso. They also had a death alter where indulgences were purchased in bygone years.
We took our first train ride, easy system, comfortable seats. We also had a 5 course Italian lunch. The kids really got a kick out of that one. The food was incredible, the service pampering, and it was so relaxing to spend 2 hours relaxing and talking to new friends.
The winery was our last stop. A local winery, it produces a good selection of really tasty wines. We picked up several bottles and can't wait to take visitors there. Interesting tidbit-wineries plant a ton of roses as a gauge for fungus and other problems. The roses will show problems about two days prior to the vines, giving the owners time to counteract and get a jump on whatever issue is coming.
At the winery we also had the good fortune to meet Sergio, a local honorary sqaudron commander. He has a fascinating story and has lived all over the world. His truly international family (german wife, kids born in bermuda, son in laws from other countries) should be a kick to meet.
I just got back from a run with the Nike + system I got for my birthday. I'm going to play with it, so ....more later.

2 comments:

  1. Tiff - I love all of the updates, what an amazing adventure! I would love to come visit sometime. Please tell everyone hello for us!

    ReplyDelete