Saturday, September 26, 2009

The walkway, and why I was digging ditches

Here is the "before" shot. Well, actually I'd already started moving bushes and taking this photo was a good excuse for a break!

In Italy it is not at all uncommon to have gravel walkways and driveways. That being said our home is the only one in our area that does not have paving for both. The gravel can be charming and all, but is also a major dirt tracker and not the easiest to walk on. So....our fantastic landlords decided to pave the walkway. Originally there were large bushes to the side of the walkway. I spent a few days transplanting these to empty spots along the outer fence so that the walkway could have a flower bed next to it. Our poor neighbors truly do think I'm crazy now, "yes, I LIKE to work outside...No, I don't need Chris to help....No, really I LIKE to dig in the dirt, seriously." The soil is a "little" rocky here, but is not nearly as difficult to dig in as the baked clay of Oklahoma, or tough soil of Alabama. Nonetheless the experience left us with two broken shovels and handfuls of blisters. That being said, there is little that I enjoy more than good hard work in the dirt with beautiful weather.This is "during".
And here is the after. Well, almost. The flower bed still needs to be planted, but that's in the works.

No comments:

Post a Comment